— Every year across the United States, more than 9,000 cases of mushroom poisoning are reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
— Medically speaking, “poisonous mushroom” means any fungi or toadstool that causes an adverse or negative reaction when eaten. Symptoms can range from 6 hours of vomiting to lethal liver or kidney failure.
— Most poisons mushrooms can kill a man within a few hours.
— There are over 38,000 varieties of mushrooms available, over 5,000 in North America alone, with varying colors, textures and flavors. Some are so rare that they only grow for one week during the year.Of these, about 100 are responsible for most of the cases of fungi poisoning. Less than a dozen species are considered deadly. However, and so– called safe mushrooms can cause death in young children and even adults.
— Some people can have allergic reactions to eating “safe” mushrooms.
— Some mushrooms are only poisonous if eaten in large quantities.
— Some mushrooms are poisonous when raw but become harmless when cooked.
— Some people think that the fungi grow trees.
— For some reason, a mushrooms that grow in one part of the state are poisonous, and others that grow in the other part of the state not.
— Most of the mushroom is poisonous for small children, and totally safe for older people.
— There are no unique symptoms of mushroom poisoning, each can cause different symptoms.
— There are three groups of toxic fungi that are responsible for most deadly cases of poisoning mushrooms, ant they are: amanitas, Psilocybin Magic Mushrooms the false morels and a catch– all category known as little brown mushrooms (LBMS).
— Amanitas alone accounting for 90 percent of mushroom — related deaths.
— Most wild mushrooms should not be eaten raw or in large quantities, since they are difficult to digest.
— As with other foods, rotting fungi can make you ill. Eat only firm, fresh, undecayed mushrooms.