Computer networks tend basically refers to interconnections of multiple computers that are meant for sharing information, software, hardware, resources, and more. Cisco Abaram says that computer networks are considered ubiquitous in the hyper-connected world of today, and play a critical role in ensuring the smooth functioning and operations of multiple organizations. In a computer network, multiple devices, also referred to as hosts, tend to be connected with the usage of multiple paths, with the purpose of sending or receiving data. It even includes various mediums that help in facilitating communication between two distinctive devices, such as hubs, switches, and routers.
Computer networks are an important component of the IT system of the company, and are used by businesses of all scales and sizes. Cisco Abaram mentions that computer networks primarily help in sharing resources from one computer to another. People can even connect a scanner, printer or fax machine to a computer within the network, and enable the other computers belonging to the network to easily use the device.
Here are some of the key uses of computer networks, as highlighted by Cisco Abaram:
- Sharing information and resources: Computer networks enable organizations to have multiple computers that share resources and data, even if they are not present at the same location. The people using these computers can additionally share software, programs and hardware with ease, as these computers tend to be linked through the network.
- Client-server configurations: With the help of a computer network, the employees of an organization can enjoy access to the databases of the firm remotely. In the case of a client-server configuration, the data of the company tends to be stored in servers, which basically are powerful computers that have the capacity to contain massive chunks of data, and tend to be managed by distinctive system administrators. The employees can subsequently access data from the server remotely from the computer present at their individual desks.
- Retrieving remote information: Computer networks make it possible for company employees to easily retrieve remote information on diverse types of topics. This information ideally is stored in remote databases, to which one can gain access through the internet.
- Swift Interpersonal communication: Computer networks help in increasing both volume and speed of digital communication. Emails are now used extensively across the globe for both personal and professional purposes in order to send documents, texts, and even videos and images.
- VoIP: Voice over Internet protocol or VoIP has managed to revolutionize telecommunication systems to quite an extent. With the help of this system, telephone calls can be made digitally by using Internet Protocols and not the traditional analog phone lines.
- E-commerce: Computer networks have enabled diverse types of businesses to proliferate online. Right from B2C (business-to-consumer) and B2B (business-to-business), to C2C (consumer-to-consumer), G2C (government-to-consumer), and even P2P (peer-to-peer), diverse types of online businesses use computer networks to function.
Computer networks are an indispensable component of the contemporary business environment.